Sunday, November 28, 2010

my awful secret

Okay, here is the truth of it. After this summer I was in amazing shape, the best shape of my life and most probably the best shape I will ever be in. I was tired of exercising, but I kept telling myself that I had a great baseline and all I would have to do is maintain so that my body would still be feeling fit and healthy. I biked the sixteen miles to and from school, and with the best of intentions I researched gyms near my new place and found one that would give me a super sweet unemployed-student discount. I paid for three months up front and happily trotted into the weight room and on to the treadmill. I actually did feel great, my lungs weren't as crappy as they usually are, and my legs were feeling strong. I was psyched that they even had a pool which the Y I used to belong to didn't! Hello only-two-miles-from-my-house-exercise-time!! Now here is the confession part: I have literally not stepped into that building a single time since then. NOT EVEN ONCE. After that run I basically haven't even moved. Oh my. Which is probably why, after dragging myself outside for a run this evening, I practically died from lack of being in shape. I can barely even stretch and touch my toes! Damn you b&b, I blame you for my complacency! I had to tell everyone so that I could shame myself back to the gym, so now you know my awful secret of neverexercisingatallever.

3 comments:

Nora said...

let me know if shaming yourself worked and maybe i'll try it for myself!

Anonymous said...

hey, hey elsie! i figured i'd stop by to see if you were still posting following B&B and here you are. i just built up the guts to swim with the triathlon guys at the local pool. those old geezers are strong! you've got to get back in action or else how are you going to climb trail ridge again this spring?

rdawg

elise said...

robby,
such high hopes you have for me! I don't know about the whole trail ridge thing, BUT I am going to try to make it to a triathlon meeting at my LBS on the 6th, AND shaming myself has worked in so far as the days that I have any spare time (hahaha) I have been at the gym. woot? woot.
<3