Monday, January 31, 2011

meet Oliver!

Puppy time! After months of wanting to adopt a dog I finally have, and I am so pleased with my little Oliver! I thought I wanted a boxer. I looked at pictures of boxers, read all about them, and even went to see them at the shelter. I thought I wanted a girl too. So what do I end up with? A rowdy little boy who they think is a shephard/heeler mix (although I think they throw "heeler" into just about every dog description around here for some reason.) Everything just kind of lined up, and after working the night shift I stayed up and had breakfast with JP and dragged him to the pet store where they were having puppy adoptions from A Puppy's Voice shelter. We were the second ones in the store, and we both fixed our eyes on Oliver. I picked him up and he nuzzled his little head under my chin and I was of course instantly sold. One of my initial worries about finding a dog was how I would know which one was my one, but it was obvious right from the start. I mean, look at him! How could I resist?!


Now this might come as no surprise to some of you, but I am totally going to be one of those dog owners. When I have kids it will probably be even worse...just warning you! Remember all those kids I have nannied? You probably do, in fact you probably remember little stories that I told you about them that have really nothing to do with your own life because I LOVED to brag about them. My poor boyfriend got to hear about every little squeak, cry and laugh that A. uttered last fall whether he wanted to know about them or not. This is why I know I will be one of those dog owners who talk about their puppy like it hung the moon. I dote. I dote a lot. Remember how I doted on Pigeon? I think this will be even worse. So there is your warning. I am sure I will post too many pictures of Oliver, and write on here to tell you about some inane little thing he did that I thought was so charming but is really just normal puppy behavior, so bear with me! Can you really blame me though? He really is the cutest, smartest little pup that was ever born ever. Lucky me!

5 comments:

Nora said...

oh so lucky! he is so ridiculously cute! i hope he sticks with his accident-free streak. more photos, please!

LDT: Blog said...

So cute! And this pup looks just like Luna did when she was little. And we get lots of compliments on how well she turned out. I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait to see all the pictures and read all the posts to come!

LDT: Blog said...

Oh – I forgot to ask. Does he have spots on his tongue?

elise said...

That's so funny that you should say that Leah, I was thinking the EXACT same thing two days ago but I wasn't sure if my memory was serving me right..! No spots on the tongue, just a freakishly long pick one. What breed is Luna again?

LDT: Blog said...

Luna was said to be a german shephard, cattle dog (heeler breed) mix and because of the tongue spots we've decided some chow also.

And wow does oliver looks like she did. Spotted white feet and all. Luna's ears did the will they won't they stand up thing until about 6 months and for a while we thought just one would fully stand up. But they ended up both staying flopped.

Enjoy him! I can't wait for all the stories to come.