Thursday, April 2, 2009

a new case

So I am getting my second case soon, pending only on my ability to pick one out and claim it. It's an odd thing, shopping for a child you think you could help while shifting past all the ones that you didn't pick, or didn't want to think too much about or just didn't have enough time for. It makes me wonder what happened to the kids that I don't pick. I read three sentences that describe the worst things that have ever happened to these children and then I just keep scanning down the page. It's odd because you have to develop a criteria for yourself for the kids to have. Mine goes loosely like this: younger child, so that I can meet with them during the school day, only one or two on the petition so that I have enough time to address all of the concerns, and any abuse other than sexual. I just don't think I am ready to help a defenseless child deal with the trauma and repercussions of sexual abuse yet. Any that don't meet those criteria I pass by, but not before I rubberneck a little and feel a tiny bit hollower.

1 comment:

Nora said...

did you ever find out what happens to the ones you don't pick? are there not enough GAL to go around? you are doing the best you can, and what you're doing is great. so although that doesn't make you feel less hollow and sad about the whole choosing a case, i hope you know that you are doing all that you can and what you're doing is important. did i tell you how proud of you i am for being a GAL? it's such a cool thing that you're doing. thanks, for real.