Sunday, June 10, 2012

done, but not really

OK, I am officially done studying for my exams tomorrow. NO MORE I say!! I logged 12 hours in the lab outside of class time and some ridiculous number, that I don't have the brain power to calculate right now, outside the lab.  This weekend alone I studied for 11 hours each day.  11 hours, and you know what?  I don't even know it all!!  I know I did the absolute most that I could and I actually feel pretty prepared, but it is such a weird feeling to put in that much effort and still know that you didn't learn everything.  Ohhh my undergrad days are certainly over, but that's okay because I have learned so much in just these past two weeks and there were so many moments when all the pieces of knowledge in my brain gelled together and I really felt empowered!  Ha!  That is such a nerdy thing to think, but it's true!  In any case, just thought I would check in and share a random piece of information with you that I thought was cool:

One way to check for a possible fracture or dislocation is by using the Hueter line and Hueter triangle.  Turn your arm so the palm of your hand is facing out.   Place your thumb and middle finger on the back part of your elbow on either side (the lateral and medial epicondyles of the humerus), and your index finger on the bony process that is sticks out when bent (the olecranon of the ulna).  Your fingers should form an equilateral triangle when bent (flexed) and a line when straightened (extended).  If they don't, and the shape of the triangle is altered, it is an indication of a fracture or dislocation.  Isn't that cool?

No comments: