Monday, June 22, 2015

Bar Harbor, ME

One big thing I regret about my time in Colorado is that I was always so busy with the mundane everyday obligations of school and work and studying and blahhh that I never really got to explore as much of Colorado as I should have. I mean seriously people, I never even went skiing the entire time I was there! Sheesh. So, I am putting in an effort to make sure I am taking in all that Maine has to offer, which is really quite a lot!


A few weeks ago JP and I went up to Bar Harbor for a weekend in a cabin with Joe and Emma.  We had never been up there, and really wanted to take in some of Acadia National Park.  What a trove of natural beauty and wilderness!

We went on a gloriously foggy hike on the coast, taking in the beach and a little mountainous parts as well. We climbed down on the rocks and skipped stones, created obstacles for each other, and had contests to knock down rock structures we built specifically for knocking down purposes. It was a little chilly, but absolutely beautiful, and we ran into only a few other people during the whole hike. Oboe climbed like a champ!



The next day was sunny and hot, we found a few more trails to explore and Joe supplied us with facts and interesting tid bits about places around the area as he built trails up there when he was in Americorps.



As with any family trip, the food often takes center stage, and this trip was no different. We made a glorious pile of lobster nachos that we almost couldn't even finish the first night.  And then we found the perfect local restaurant with a huge gluten free menu and we warmed ourselves up with individualized mac and cheese's and blueberry margaritas.  We found a bar with a shuffle board and spent quite a long time there in competition, ending with a few rousing rounds of air hockey to end it all.

 It was so nice to escape from Portland for a little while, get some much needed relaxation and perspective.  It's always good for me to remind myself of the world around me.  I have a tendency to tunnel vision my focus over time and I need a shake up every once in awhile.


Don't these pictures make you want to come to Maine?!

No comments: