Saturday, June 6, 2015

crawfish for the birthday boy!

JP recently had a birthday, and by recently I mean almost a month ago, and this is how up to date I am on blogging...shhhh I haven't written since February.  Well, that's not technically true, as I have like five unfinished posts sitting as drafts, but I've been in a writing and creativity rut lately and I can't seem to get anything out there!  But, I really love to write, so I am going to work on that in the next few months.


So, to get back into the swing of things, I am just going to do it by doing it.

For JP's 29th birthday he sweetly requested no surprise parties. Last year after work I had a crew of friends and family waiting for him at one of our favorite restaurants to celebrate with delicious cocktails.  While he did love this, I sometimes forget that he is really much more introverted and is more then content to spend his birthday at home with just me and the pups. Which is exactly what we did for his actual birthday this year. We slept in, went out for brunch, walked the dogs, went to a bookstore and made delicious food together, completely relaxed and laid back.

BUT, of course that's not all we did, because this year for his present I wanted to bring him a taste from his Louisiana home, I know he misses all the southern food from there, but most particularly he misses crawfish.  So I arranged for 20lbs of live crawfish to be delivered to our house that Saturday, and we had a really small gathering the following afternoon.  JP and his childhood friend Nick were happily up to the task of keeping them alive in the interim, and they faithfully took the package outside every few hours and hosed them down in the yard. 

 Success! Almost every one survived!


We borrowed a turkey fryer from Dr C and fired it up with corn and potatoes before whipping up two batches of crawfish.  It was so much fun to bring a little piece of Louisiana up to Maine.  I think everyone enjoyed them, at least they enjoyed the novelty of it all! We rounded the occasion off with Abita beer, zapp's potato chips and bread flown in from Louisiana too.  And of course lots of dirt cake, JP's favorite.


So there you have it. Another year come and gone, but I think he's gonna like 29!

No comments: