Tuesday, March 10, 2009

people


I have these memories stored up that don't often get tapped into. What becomes of the people I don't get to see anymore, don't get to know anymore? It's often a wistful memory, which spurs vivid pictures in my mind, snapshots that make me smile slightly or grimace with a part of my brain. I hate some of those memories, love others, and some just make me curious. The curious ones are the ones that get stuck in my brain. They aren't even stuck for long amounts of time, but are just striking enough to alter my mood or shift my thinking.

There are some people I will never see again, that I can't ever talk to, and I wonder how they are moving around in their lives. I wonder if I changed anything about them, and what it was that I changed. I see the imprint of these people on me sometimes, mostly when I am unaware and get caught with such force that it is a wonder I don't think of them all the time. I think about them in their spaces, mostly small things like how they cocked back their heads when they were especially delighted or how their fingers fluttered so gracefully when they were nervous. I wonder if other people know those things about them, and smile when they see them on somebody else. I think then of the small things I have collected from the people that I still know, and it's like a private secret I get to hold. It makes me glad to know that I can have these moments, even if I can't have the people forever.

1 comment:

Nora said...

i like the way you captured this idea of people and how they come in and out of your lives but never really leave. i often think about how weird it is that you know people and then don't but you still do know them, at least parts of them from before. and you put it in words very nicely. i like it.