Monday, February 17, 2014

and then I realized I am that person

Sooooo, in a weird fit of anxiety induced paranoia, I may have convinced myself that Oliver has diabetes.  Yes I wrote that right.  And hindsight being what it is, I think we can now all collectively agree that that is a fairly ridiculous leaping conclusion on my part, but that's probably at least in part because we all now know that it isn't true.

Polyuria + polydipsia + one accident at home = diabetes for sure.  So of course I called up my vet and got an appointment on Friday.  I thoroughly embarrassed myself trying to get a urine sample from him by collecting it into a vitamin water bottle.  It did not go as well as one would hope, but probably as well as one would imagine.  To be fair, he was also behind on a few immunizations, so I figured kill two birds, right?  Maybe that is an inappropriate cliche to use in this context.

Of course when we are in the patient room and I hear the words coming out of my mouth, I instantly snap back to reality and realize that I am a crazy person, and there is no way that my dog has diabetes.  He has no other symptoms, hasn't even had these ones long, is otherwise his completely normal neurotic self, and also he does not have diabetes.  And that's when I realize that in that moment I am totally one of my pediatric patient's parents!  Worried well!  Sometimes I know that when I am seeing a kid with complaints of a runny nose for two days, as his mom is recounting the history she is also in the process of realizing there is no need to be being seen in the doctor's office.  That was me.  I just wanted to stand up and say, ok, take my money, we can go now.  I swear I am usually a fairly competent person, and if this was an actual human child I probably wouldn't have been so insane.  Or who knows, maybe I would have been even crazier, cause hormones can do weird things.

So for now, let's all just take a moment to be glad that Oliver doesn't have diabetes.  And you personally can all be glad that you didn't just pay through the nose to ascertain that.  And now here are some pictures of Obie being adorable while simultaneously maintaining a normal blood sugar:


And one of him small:

That is all.

No comments: