Friday, February 14, 2014

snow day!

The best part about being back on campus for a week is having a giant snow storm blow through and school gets cancelled!  Out in the world of clinical rotations, work rarely gets cancelled, and since we are all scattered across New England, there is no consistent climate for blanket cancellations.  Makes me sound like I don't like what I do, BUT seriously, who doesn't enjoy a free hunker down day with no responsibilities and fat snowflakes falling briskly outside your window?  I maaay have also given myself even more time off and slept in on Thursday missing a billing/coding lecture...and then spent the  rest of the day reading and lounging and eating delicious sushi with friends.  I tell you, EOR weeks are exhausting, and I needed some serious sleep! 


With no lectures for the day, this week of productivity has officially been closed.  I super survived my OSCE, and breathed a huge sigh of relief afterwards.  Last OSCE forever?  I'll take that.  On exam day I only had to take one because Belize was my elective.  My fellow traveling classmates and I used the first exam time slot to go out for a delicious breakfast to reminisce about warmer, sunnier, climates, and catch up on life since returning home.  It was great!  I missed those girls!  My Emergency Medicine exam went really well.  I think I am FINALLY (after 25 years of schooling) getting the hang of standardized exams.  Sheesh! And not a moment too soon either, cause folks I have only TWO more exams until graduation.  It seems almost unbelievable, but it's true.  Then of course there is my gigantic board exam afterwards, but that's extra, and doesn't apply to this conversation. 

To celebrate the storm JP and I braved the roads and grabbed local seafood at the fish market before heading up the road to Joe's to make dinner.  He's been traveling a lot lately, and I am about to move, so we have been squeezing in sibling hang time when we can.  My mom recently sent him a package with pasta maker, and, among other things, four separate hand mixed packs for GF pasta.  What better time to make homemade pasta?!  I am not sure  we were completely successful, but there was enough for Emma and I, while the boys made due with the packaged, fully gluten-ed variety.  Fresh salad, pasta, shrimp and scallops make for quite the delectable dinner.  We brought chocolate stout and vino verde to bring it all together.  YUM. 








 Doesn't that look scrumptious?!  Don't tell my future surgical patients about my uneven cuts...shhh.

But speaking of surgery, did you know that that is my next rotation?!  I am terrified, and ecstatic, and nervous!  I have such conflicting feelings already.  I think I am going to love it, but secretly kind of hope I hate it because the lifestyle is just so demanding and leaves little room for life outside the hospital.  Also, I know I'm going to look like such a flop at first because I've only been in the OR twice, and it's been forever since my anatomy classes, and I don't know how to tie a knot with one hand!  These are the problems people!  The problems!!

Ok, so anyways I shall stop freaking out.  Surgery rotation starts Tuesday, and it is in Presque Isle, ME which is about five hours north of Portland, practically in Canada.  I've been fortunate to find housing that accepts not only me, but my lovable sweet Oboe boy as well.  Middle of nowhere is much more manageable with the O by my side, PLUS I get to live with Julia who I have barely seen since second year started.  This rotation promises to be full of anxiety, and excitement, and hijinks, and girly wine time, and trail runs.  I should probably go pack, and obsessively watch knot tying youtube videos. 

No comments: