Monday, February 22, 2010

tasty, tasty thai

As you may already be aware, from my constant litany of grumblings, I have yet to find any really great Thai restaurants in Denver. This is unfortunate because I love, love, love, and can eat most everything thai food related. As one friend put it right before my trip to Thailand, "You're going to be in gluten free land-ia!" and indeed I was. So, after sampling the best that Yelp had to offer and coming up bland handed, I have decided to do the practical thing and have switched to simply making the tasty thai food that I crave. Last night's GF potluck party (that's right, Elise is finally making some friends) gave me the opportunity to make one of my favorite dishes: Laab (or Larb) salad. Mmmmmmm.


*
My gigantic kitchen owl supervised the operation.



**
I've got to give credit to Joe for my love of tofu, it's just so tasty!



**
This recipe for sure and cilantro in particular remind me so much of Carol, far away in Tanzania..and probably far away from cilantro as well.



****
Cilantro sticks to everything!



*****
Oh so tasty, this dish is so simple to make too. Now I think I need to go eat some lunch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! I am excited to try this. I will be looking for a recipe online.

Nora said...

show me the finished product!

elise said...

Leah! I don't know why I didn't include a recipe, I just always feel like everyone blogs about cooking and it gets old...BUT its a super easy dish, and I just make it to taste but here are the ingredients:

tofu
red onion (or green onion)
2ish limes
crushed red pepper flakes
dash of fish sauce
cilantro

I just fry to tofu and mix everything together and let in marinate. I like it with sticky rice and a head of lettuce. You just peel off a piece of lettuce, put in some rice and laab and eat it like a little wrap...mmmm mmmm.

LDT: Blog said...

So excited to try it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey - Here is my response to your rice question - Just make sure to rinse off all of the extra starch, i'd say about 30 minuets. In my rice cooker I do about 1-1/4 cup of water to 1 cup rinsed rice. I also sub one of the 1/4 cups of water for 1/2 cup rice vinegar. Cook about half hour and then let stand (i use warming function) for an additional half hour. Good luck!