Thursday, July 8, 2010

the parents come for a visit to spoil us, feed us and to bike!

Our ride into Effingham, IL was a long, hot one on a crappy and congested road but at the end of it my parents were waiting for me! It was so great to visit with them and give them a whirlwind tour of my summer. It's hard to convey how the trip really is when most times that I get to write anything I am exhausted and/or hungry and short on time. They got to meet everyone and document our build day in Springfield. They took me out for thai food (twice!) and to target for a supply run. It was great to see familiar faces again, it feels like it's been a long long time since I've connected with the real world. My favorite part of their visit by far was riding with them. That's right, my mom and dad rode with us and it was the highlight of my week. Dad rode the first 50 miles from Effingham to Springfield and rocked it. His longest ride prior to that day was 25 miles, so I was really proud of him for pushing through on such a hot day that was supposed to be flat but turned out kind of hilly. My mom rode the first 13 the morning we left Springfield before they headed back to Minnesota. Riding with them was so great! They got to have such a unique peek into our lives, how we interact on the road, how we spend our time and what songs we sing. Everyone was so supportive and cheered them on, it was such a nice experience for me, and it made my rides both days so much better!


My mom with Robby before taking off!

Lunch break at mile 44 with some shade!

Erica and I cross into Indiana...

...and into Indiana!


Here's Elizabeth and I being badass at the build site. Good times.

No comments: