Saturday, July 24, 2010

shock

As many of you have probably heard, Bike & Build had some devastating news on Tuesday when a rider was killed while on the road in South Dakota. Paige Hicks was a leader on the Providence to Seattle route, and was stopped on the shoulder with another rider when a truck with an over-sized load hit her and she was pronounced dead when the paramedics arrived on the scene. We heard the news Wednesday morning as we were preparing for a 100 mile ride from McCook, NE to Holyoke, CO. We were all so shocked and shaken, not even beginning to realize the far reaching implications. A few riders chose to ride in the van to make sure they were mentally prepared before getting back on the bike. It was so hard heading out that morning, an overcast foggy day, to do the exact same thing that Paige had been doing when she was killed. I think many of us had been lulled into a false sense of comfort, thinking that we were invincible and not remembering just how dangerous an endeavor like biking across the country really is. The morning started out rough, nobody talked except to point out gravel and to call out cars from behind. People were jittery and afraid on their bikes, which for many people was the first time that had felt that way. Megan and I were riding sweep that day, which means we were the riders who have to stay behind everyone and carry a first aid kit and extra tire in case they are needed. We knew it was going to be a really rough day. It's hard to get out of your head when you are on the bike, something that can serve as a real distraction when you are focused on upsetting news. My mind just could not stop thinking about the girl who was stopped on the side of the road with Paige and was unharmed by the truck. Eight miles into the day Sarah was riding in front of me and slipped off the shoulder of the road when a semi truck came blaring past her. She tried to regain her balance by jerking her bike back onto the shoulder, causing her to flip over her bike three times in midair and breaking her collarbone. I was riding right behind her, and watching her fly through the air made my heart just stop, I was so incredibly helpless. The timing of such a horrible accident couldn't have been worse, and the image in my head is something that I will never forget. While calling the ambulance and the support van, Megan and I were strangely calm, but when the paramedic asked us if we were alright and we told him about Paige's death we both just lost it. The rest of the ride to lunch was just about 40 miles, and it was the worst ride I have ever had. We were so scared of every car and got pushed off the road two or three times be trucks speeding by too close. After making it to first lunch we were vanned and Robby and Rudy took over our sweep duties. It was such a horrible day, so unreal and indescribable. I can't imagine how the P2S group is dealing with their loss when it is hitting my group so hard. I'm sorry if this post is a bit disjointed, the week has been a tough one and the processing is still very much happening. Last night we had our family meeting for the week and it was centered around Paige and how we want to honor her and how we will move forward both individually and together. I invite you all to send mail to the P2S route as they are going to continue on after Paige's funeral and I know first hand just how much mail days mean to everyone on the road. Their maildrops dates are on the website, and I am sure they would appreciate any words and prayers that you could offer. I admire their courage and strength more then I can express. I can't wrap my brain around how awful it would be to lose a member of our group, we have truly become a family as we work our way across the US. Please keep us all in your thoughts, and know that we are taking every precaution to be safe on the road. Tomorrow is our first climb in the Rockies, being back within sight of the mountains have really helped to center me and soon I will be on top of them!

Always with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So incredible sad to hear this news. Know I'm thinking about you and all the other riders. Take care dear.

Nora said...

The way you write really helps me understand better what you guys are going through. I'm sorry for all this stuff you guys are dealing with but it sounds, from what you wrote, that you are binding together even further to be an even stronger team to continue on your trip. You guys are spectacular and I wish you the best.