Saturday, March 1, 2014

another one bites

My computer bit the dust.  Which wouldn't be so bad, if I was a real person who actually interacted appropriately with technology.  This situation actually reminds me exactly of when my phone was stolen in Belize.  Everyone said, oh it's a good thing you had this installed.  To which I would reply, well, I've never heard of that.  Then they would say, well luckily it comes with this built in.  And then I would discover that I had somehow disabled that feature.  At every step it would seem that I had thwarted my self out of what would naturally have been a semi good security system or back up of sorts.  Which you might think would have prompted me to reevaluate my other technologies and their (lack of) back up systems.  But of course I didn't, cause those pesky pop up things always seem to crop up onto the desktop at just the moment when I realized I have ten minutes to upload a form for school or I'll fail, and so I just dismiss then and move on merrily with the rest of my life. Oblivious to my own lack of safety net.  Lalalaaaaaa lame.

So, at least it didn't die the week before my practice board exam (which is this friday), cause then I really would have been up a creek.  And at least it seems to sometimes randomly spark back to life a little, so there is hope that the thousands of pictures sitting on the hard drive are not completely lost forever.  Lalalaaaaa, pretending that doesn't exist!

I came back to Portland for the weekend and have since acquired a new laptop with all my spare money that is just lounging around me in giant piles, waiting to be spent on all the things.  It's recently actually quite starkly dawned on me that I literally have no more money coming in until I get a job.  Which is unfortunate in many respects, but also unfortunate because when life goes into crunch time, bills have a way of piling up.  Case in point, I registered for my board exam last week, and $500 later I am happy to say that I will be sitting for it on May 28th at 8 am.  Haaaaa.

I will pause for a brief panic moment.  Shhhhhhh reality.

Ok. So, that's about all I have to report.  Obie and I are surviving the ridiculous cold up north, and I think the word surviving could also apply to what I am doing in terms of surgery.  Yay?


No comments: