Saturday, March 29, 2014

stacking life decisions

I don't know why I always seem to think that adding on to the stress pile so that everything happens at once is a good thing.  You'd think that at this age I would have realized that that is a terrible approach.  I am pretty much a stress ball during my everyday life, so when things start to pile up I should really be actively seeking steps to reduce the stress, not add to it.

Case in point, we have been looking for a new apartment.  We extended our lease again to month to month, and the plan was to move at the end of April, thus avoiding moving at the end of March when I was gone all month, and avoiding moving at the end of May which would be three days after I sit for my boards.  See?  I kind of reduced stress by planning it that way, right?  Anyway, true to form, I hadn't realized how much it was stressing me out until we made the decision to not move right now.  PHEW.  Seriously though, in retrospect, I don't really know what I was thinking trying to sign a new year long lease before even knowing where and if and when I would have a job.  Sometimes I just plow on through and don't think about things like that.  And then other times I talk to my mom and she helps me see the error of my ways.

So we are no longer moving, and it feels amazing.  Too many large life changes are looming just around the corner, there is no need to add on to that.  So for now we stay put.  Our money saving compromise is to buy a couch though.  I think we are rapidly moving towards the end of our futon days.  Those days have been long and plentiful, and while they worked for what we needed, I think the time has come to say goodbye for reals.  And though I also know that we will probably never be the type of people to easily drop three grand on a sitting device, no matter where we are in life, I think we can find a compromise at ikea that should serve its purpose well.

Also, It is FIFTY degrees outside.  Spring is definitely in the air.  Doughnuts and a tromp through the woods with the pups is in order.

No comments: