Friday, March 28, 2014

I got marginally better!

I seriously did.  On Monday I think I had my best day in surgery yet.  The first assist and I were at the sink scrubbing in for our second case of the day, and the surgeon (the one who I can almost physically feel how incompetent he thinks I am) said Derek, you don't have to scrub in, I think she can handle this next case.  He left and we both just looked at each other with super wide eyes and said PROMOTIONNNN simultaneously while doing a little dance!  Ha ha, I think my extreme dorkiness is rubbing off, but it was really exciting, and nerve racking, and thrilling!  I finally figured out how to be a better camera driver (the key is short, slow movements so you can see where you are directing the lens), I answered maybe 90% of his pimping questions correctly (which seriously never happens), I closed the incision without fumbling like a goof or hearing the circulator make any comments about me holding everyone up by being so slow, and I actually had fun!  I wanted to just drop everything on the ground and leave the OR without looking back.  BAM done.  I'm out.  But of course I still had all week to finish out, which was basically just the normal ups and downs and mistakes and triumphs.  But you know what?  It was only my second time with the camera and I DID get better just like he told me to, so I am taking that as a win.

And with that, I seriously am done with surgery.  I moved home last night after watching an emergency abdominal surgery on the sweetest seven year old girl.  Obie and I packed up what little belongings we had and pointed our car in the direction of Portland.  It was actually a great drive, I could see the temperature rise on my car thermometer with every hundred miles, and by the time we pulled up outside our home we could see grass and people walking around without jackets, even one guy in shorts!  I think spring is finally coming to Maine!  Looong time coming, and I am not even sad that the entire weekend is forecast for rain, because this brown grass needs some hydration, this house needs some serious cleaning, and I need some serious studying for my boards.

That is until Sunday, which is already booked as a double dinner date with my brother and his girlfriend, followed by going to see Wes Anderson's newest film The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I am beyond excited about.  Should be an excellent end to the weekend before starting up in Family Medicine on Monday!  Gotta keep moving on!

No comments: