Thursday, November 20, 2014

it's been waiting for you

We had a splendid long weekend in NYC that of course flew by way too fast, and utterly wore us out in a good way.  We had quite a lot of fun, and we packed in as much as we could!


Our trip down we listened to Bossypants read by Tina Fey, and it was great.  Perfectly hilarious and entertaining.  I had been meaning to read the book but held off until I had time for Tina to read it to me, which made it all the better.

After battling the massive traffic pile we made it to Brooklyn and settled our things into Joe's friend's apartment which was much bigger than most places I've seen in the city, and suited us just fine.  We basically went straight to Caracas, my favorite place to eat in New York, and met up with Emily and her friend Sophia.  I don't even think we were that hungry when we got there, but that did not stop us from shoving an ungodly amount of food in our faces, and then finishing it off with dessert.  MMMmmmmm.  If you an opportunity to try an arepa first hand, you should jump at it because they are delicious.  We make them at home, but somehow we are missing some small thing cause they are never as delish as the ones you can get at Caracas.


On Saturday we slept in a bit, and whipped up some tasty breakfast before zipping out the door to catch the train.  I always find it disconcerting when you pop up from a subway station and are in a completely different place.  I think it's because my grasp of the neighborhoods and stations in NYC is basically non existent, which means I am constantly turned around and unsure of myself.  Plus, a lot of the streets look quite similar to the untrained out of town eyeball.  But, luckily we were with Joe who is a seasoned traveler and knows NY well so we were in good hands and free to people watch and follow blindly as much as we wanted.



We went to Central Park of course, and walked around the Highline before going to the Natural History Museum and gawking at the dinosaurs.





We met up with JP's friend Jordan from Louisiana in Chinatown and he took us to a little hole in the wall restaurant right by his apartment called Nam.  It was amazing.  Like ordered multiple round of food amazing.  They had some ribs that were outrageously tasty.  After we stuffed ourselves there we played some pool and rounded out the evening with a little karaoke of course.  My cousin Nick and his husband Greg even made it out after they got off work!  Haven't seen them in years!  It was a great time, although Emma and I sang I Wanna Dance With Somebody, and we both forgot that there is a pretty significant key change about halfway through that we both almost, but did not in fact, hit, at which point the song sounded mostly like giggles from there on out.  I like to think it was cute, but that's cause if it wasn't cute it was probably ridiculously obnoxious.  BUT FUN.


Sunday morning Sophia and Emily whipped up an amazing breakfast spread before we got back on the road with Tina filling our car with laughter.  And then, before I knew it, it was back to work again with me pretending to not be sleep deprived from all the hubbub.

No comments: