Saturday, November 22, 2014

rewind: cliff island

Ok, with the temperatures hovering in and around freezing lately, and our heat officially turned on (but only to 60, with space heaters galore) I figured it might be nice to look back at a few summer adventures I had that I never wrote about because of the whole wedding vortex-y black hole.

So, CLIFF ISLAND! We were lucky enough to stay the weekend in a beautifully simple island home abutting the water that Joe's friends own.  An amazingly peaceful place that all but demands you forget the outside world and focus on the here and now.





We took the ferry en masse, with Osa charming everyone, and sometimes scaring the by poking her nose through the gates on the top deck.  It was windy but sunny, and on days like that it feels like you have to layer up and stay right in the middle of the fresh ocean breeze.



We packed a haul of groceries, and then left many of the crucial supplies back on the main land. But we made due, with risotto and fresh caught lobster from a neighbor down the road.

We biked and strolled on the beach, talking about my parent's island dream house in a secluded section surrounded by nature and on the edge of a cliff.  We skipped rocks, explored the beaches, and chased Osa down.  We even played tennis and took turns catching some internet on the porch of the island library.




Joe and I biked down to the dock late that first night to lay on our bellies and swish our arms in the water looking for bioluminescents and sipping on whiskey.



It was an amazing break from reality, which is always true for me when I visit new parts of Maine.  The islands especially give me a very content sense of myself.



I can see the draw towards island living.  It would slow your pace by simple necessity, and disconnect you from that sense of urgency I often feel when living in a city.  But for now, it is enough to take those moments in spurts, and look forward to the next.

No comments: