Friday, August 20, 2010

just rolling on through

I can't tell you how great it feels to be riding in California after slogging across Nevada. Yes the drivers are horrible, and the shoulders are still quite decorated with broken glass, but the energy is different, and the scenery is beautiful! We've been passing through wine country, seeing lots of vineyards and rolling hills. Climbing still, and taking some amazing descents, one of them was even a 13% grade! It's nice to not feel intimidated by whatever is ahead of us. We've got strength and endurance and resolve, even when it's really hard, we know we can do it and that's a really empowering feeling.


It's hot here! We took a break just outside a vineyard to catch some shade and eat a snack under a palm tree.



We have had some incredible lunch spots recently. The day we rode into Auburn we had two lunches, both at beautiful swimming spots. That almost never happens!


Spring Mountain, coming into Santa Rosa, was arguably the hardest climb we had all trip. It just kept going, with maybe an 11% grade sprinkled with turns that hit around 13%...it was insane, but getting to the top felt amazing. We waited in groups to cheer people up the last little bit.

Most of us drink a lot of coffee, but in CA we stopped often and lingered more then usual. Here's Robby and I outside a french cafe about 15 miles into the day.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Congrats on your trip, I see you did much more blogging that I did... Also, you probably managed to hang onto your phone a lot longer than I did as well since my was lost on this mountain pass just into Colorado. I'm currently hanging out in Seattle for a couple weeks, so shoot me a text or call, I'd love to catch up a bit.

elise said...

Hey!! I would love to catch up with you once you get back to Denver! Assuming you are making your way back here.. What a crazy summer, eh? let me know when you are around and we can meet up for a drink!